My passport ultra not mounting on Macbook pro 10.9

As stated, I recently bought a new macbook pro, and a new WD My Passport Ultra 1TB harddisk. 

It refuses to mount onto my macbook pro.

Doesn’t even show up in Disk Utility.

The USB Port is working fine.

Cable attached to it is working fine as well, the harddisk has it’s light blinking and motor running.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you connected the drive to another computer to see if it the drive is recognized?

Yes, on Mac OS X 10.7.5, it recognizes it.

But on my current Mac OS X 10.9, it doesn’t

same here,

i cannot mount the mypassport on my 2 brand new macs with 10.9.

are there more people to have this problem?

i requested a new drive from wd, and it came quickly.

same problem, it wont mount and wont show up anywhere.

i send the old drive back to wd and wait

my post:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/cannot-mount-mypassport-osx-10-9-mavericks/m-p/634309/highlight/false#M17296

I have exactly the same problem. Still no solution.

My mac is MacBook Pro Retina Mac OSX 10.8.5 2.6Ghz Intel Core 7

The drive is perfectly functional on Windows on another PC and I have it as it came out from the box, no formatting or whatsoever.

USB port is also perfectly functional with all other devices. Same for cable.

However, no matter what, Ultra doesn’t mount. Long blinking of light at beginning, eventually arrives to a steady state.
A pop up message appear at times at the beginning that the drive has not been correctly ejected. Which is not true since I switch off mac before removing the drive (forced to do so for safety because, not appearing the drive, I cannot eject it!)
The drive is always recognized by Western Drive Utilities 1.1.7.5 (current/last version!) on Mac, even though with some problems:

• at times it shows 0B dimension in the unit information pop-up
  • it successfully passed both the smart test and the quick test, but that was out of chance because most of the times test buttons do nothing or test starts but doesn’t proceed, so even the WD software has trouble in communicating with the drive

I’m wondering why no notice from staff after a couple of months. By now you should have been able to do a try and, if not to solve the problem, either confirm or reject it. This would help us in knowing whether to do more tries or wait for a solution.
I’d appreciate whatever answer. Best regards in advance

i had a case at wd support, we followed every step, and he could not help me, because it is not possible to fix that problem in 10.9. there is no information of wd regarding their problems under 10.9.

i could mount the wd drives in 10.8 but not in 10.9

i even got a new one shipped from wd and sent the “old” back, same problem… cannot mount in 10.9 only.

i closed the case and sold my wd drives at ebay this week, as i am not going to wait month or years for a solution. 10.9.1 did not fix it.

i am going to stay with lacie drives. i am not offended, i am just not going to accept, that western digital is NOT giving a statement of information about an ongoing problem with certain wd drives under 10.9

I thank you for the prompt reply. Yes, I already followed both your posts. I had this impression… of lack of communication at least.
Strangely I have this problem in 1.8.5 too. Perhaps yours was an earlier version.
This drive is sold as working on mac and it is not. I’m going to post a caveat on amazon where I bought it.
As I said, problem solving could take time (could but shouldn’t!) but at least an official notice should be put out to confirm or reject the problem for ourselves and other users or possible buyers

Thanks again :smiley:

Hello,

I had a similar situation last night with a new passport ultra straight out of the box.
Plugged it in to back up before upgrading to Maverick.
After it was not being read by my macbook pro.
I tried it on another laptop and it worked.
I had no idea what to do so after much Googling and hairpulling I went to the WD website and downloaded a driver for it.

Now the drive shows up on my desktop

I hope that helps someone.

Message to Ialone:
Can you quote the precise link of where and which driver did you use?

I too have some update on the problem, which is not solved at all from my point of view:

I tried my passport ultra 1Tb on few other macs, and it did work on an old 1.6.x old system on a Macbook and also on a 1.9.X on a desktop Imac.

The last was likely a bit of luck because after being seen by the imac, started to be seen on my macbook pro retina 1.8.5. Without changes on my system.

There is something tricky going on… I’m glad it works but I’m worried about reliability

Format to FAT I had the same problem and it got fixed in minutes!!!

I HAD GOT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MBPR (LATE 2013) AND MY PASSPORT ULTRA 2TB (NOT FOR MAC) UNTIL I VISITED GENIUS BAR THIS AFTERNOON.

THEY SOLVED THE PROBLEM BY USING A DIFFERENT USB 3.0 CABEL ( WHICH IS THICKER ) TO CONNECT MY EXTERNAL HARDDISK AND MY MAC.THE OUTCOME IS THE ORIGINAL CABEL COME WITH THE PACKAGE IS INSUFFICIENT TO PROVIDE POWER FROM MAC.

ALL IN ALL, I SUGGEST YOU MAY NEED TO GET A THICKER USB 3.0 WHICH CAPABLE TO BOOST UP THE EXTERNAL HDD.

HERE IS THE COMPAIRSON OF THE USB 3.0 CABLE FROM THE PACKAGE AND FROM THE COMPUTER STORE:

IMG_4025.jpg 

I have a slightly older 2 TB My Pasport drive and that has always worked fine. I could not get a new Ultra My Passbook work as described by others using mac OSX 10.8.5

I saw this message and tried the cable from te older drive and the new Ultra one works now. Not tried going back yet and both part numbers on the cables are the same - there must be an issue here.

S