My Passport not working

I have a 2tb passport which I use on my mac. I have been able to use it but for some reason it’s not working. I know its not because its corrupted cause it does show up on my mac and allow me view it but it now no longer allows me to copy stuff on it. I know my father downloaded a program year ago to allow wd to work on my mac. I recently cleaned my computer because of a virus and I think I accidently deleted the program off my computer. I dont know what it is called. So could someone either tell me what it is if you know or how to get my wd passport to work. The latter would be prefferable cause I have relatives who have my passport but cannot use it with their macs and have the same issue I have and have been using my mac instead. 

I would suspect the drive is NTFS formatted (designed for use with Windows PCs), which a Mac can read but cannot write to as standard. That is the main difference between the MyPassports that WD sell for PCs and for Macs.

See  this page for an example of how to make it read/write on an OSX Mac, or else just Google “using NTFS drive on a Mac” or something similar to bring up some other options, tips pages and programs like Paragon or Tuxera which you can install (probably one of those two may be the program you mentioned that your father installed).

I have gone to site and was about to try this but if you read the comments, many people have commented that issues have arisen from doing this and following this article’s solution so could you please reccomend something else?? I am not ready to risk losing so much data that took years to collect.

Have a look at the Paragon and Tuxera NTFS programs ( here and here) and see if either of those look familiar as the program you used to have installed. If so then maybe go with that again if it worked for you in the past?

Or else you’ll need to back up the data somewhere else and then reformat the drive to something more appropriate that the Mac can read natively, then put the data back.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! The tutxera program was the program I had before thank you for finding it for me and helping me!! :DD