My Passport not copying files to Mac

Hello, I haven’t seen any posts that answer my particular problem, so I just decided to ask :slight_smile:

I’ve had this “My Passport” for a while now and haven’t really been using it, I recently plugged it into my Macbook Pro 15" and it showed up on my desktop, but when I try to copy the files from the passport to my Mac it copies only so much (usually about 30mb) and doesn’t copy anymore. Then it says that the passport was not properly ejected. I try to stop the copy by clicking the X by the loading bar, and it says it’s stopping… but that’s as far as it gets. The box stays there and never actually stops. The only way it stops is if I hold down the power button on the Mac until the Mac shuts off. I’ve read that I might possibly need a new cable, but that was recommended to people who couldn’t get there passport to be recognized at all. I’ve also used a powered USB hub just in case it was a power issue, but it still does the same thing. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Please provide the model number of your passport for further research.

You can test the drive via Disk Utility. Check the steps on the link bellow:

How to test a drive for defects or problems on a Mac

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/866

So i went to disk utility and clicked “repair disk”. This message popped up:

Is there anyway to retrieve my files before I reformat?

Also, I’m not sure if the model number is the P/N or the S/N, so I’ll just give you both:

P/N: WDBACX0010BBK - 00

S/N:  

You can search for a data recovery software online.

After recovering the files try reformatting the drive.