My Passport has stopped detecting

I have the black - WDBACX0010BBK-00

It has worked fine for a long time

I plugged it in and the lights come on and it spins up but the disk image does not appear.

I checked the disk utility and it is not there.

What do I do? this and irreplaceable data on it

Anyone have any ideas??? This is a big problem and I need to resolve it asap!

Yes, I have the same problem with the 3Tb drive. It worked fine with no problems for 12 months and now all I have is the yellow led on and the drive cannot be read. I have 5 other WD Ethernet drives and I have no problems as yet, They are all

1 TB and all are registered via the WD website. Not very happy with theese drives. Cheers Brian.

Change the cable, check Disk Utility, try another computer, then replace it.

Drives can fail from night to morning with no warning.

I had the same problem - updated the smartware software from here and followed the instructions.  Hope this helps.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?id=wdfGeneric&os=mac

Jamie

Same exact problem. Same unit. Rarely used drive will no longer show up in Mac OSX on my MacBook Pro.

connects fine. Light comes on. drive spins up quietly as always, (the drive has not failed) but no appearance on desktop, in disk utility, and cannot be seen by the WD firmware updater.

I do not want to use the WD backup software, and would like to continue using Time Machine.

I see theses issues for many many users, but very few solutions that work. 

Thanks for anything!

• Michael

sonofray wrote:

Same exact problem. Same unit. Rarely used drive will no longer show up in Mac OSX on my MacBook Pro.

connects fine. Light comes on. drive spins up quietly as always, (the drive has not failed) but no appearance on desktop, in disk utility, and cannot be seen by the WD firmware updater.

I do not want to use the WD backup software, and would like to continue using Time Machine.

I see theses issues for many many users, but very few solutions that work. 

Thanks for anything!

• Michael

Have you tried contacting support?