My Passport for Mac suddenly SLOW & acting strange

I’ve had 1TB ‘My Passport for Mac’ for around 3-4 months. It had worked brilliantly up until a few days ago.

I used a maintenance tool for my Mac called ‘Main Menu Pro’ and ever since, my external HD has been acting strange. Maybe this was just a conincidence? I don’t know.

When I plugged the HD into my Mac, it took around a minute for all 3 partitioned drives to appear on the desktop, whereas before, they would appear straight away. A day later, I plugged in the HD and the drive had to be reformatted; I cannot remember what the error message was.

I reformatted & partitioned the drive using Disk Utility, then set up ‘Time Machine’ and began backing up my Mac, but it exstimated over 22 hours to transfer 110GB of data so I stopped the process & reformmated again using the ‘WD Drive Utilies’ application that came with the external HD, but I had the same problems.

I’ve since performed a SMART Status scan which it passed, a Quick & Complete Drive Test which it failed on both (baring in mind there is only around 50mb worth of data on the external HD because it was taking so long to back-up).

Can anyone guide me in thr right direction please? Will I need a replacement as the HD is only a couple months old?

Thanks.

Yes you need to replace the drive since it failed both test

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

Is there much hassle getting these replaced? in terms of phoning up, shipping it out and them returning one that works?

I live in the UK, if that helps.

Thanks.

The replacement drives I have got in the past were shipped really fast

1 Like

I opened a new thread for my issue as this might go unnoticed. Editing the message as I am not able to find an option to delete this post. Sorry for the inconvenience.