My Passport for Mac is not recognised by my MacBook Pro

It has been working fine for 10 months with my MacBook Pro. Suddenly today, it cant be recognised. The hard-disc is getting power, the bulb glows and makes the typical noise, but its not recognised on my desktop. On one occasion, I got an error message - MyPassport cannot be repaired. The files can be accessed but not edited. Please take a back-up and re-format the disc. However, I could not access any of its folders.

Does anyone know how to fix this. I have a lot of important data on this hard-disc :frowning:

I’m having issues too!  I tried to set up a second WS passport Ultra the other day and not only would that one not work, now I can’t keep my computer engaged to my first one either!  The light on mine goes off after about 20 seconds of being discoverable and it just is gone.  I also have important things on mine! Bought the second as a back up.  Ugh! 

I’m having a similar problem… Hard drive was working ok until tonight. I’m usually quite careful about unplugging it so not sure how it could have become corrupted.

Using a Macbook Pro 2010 with Yosemite 10.10.5.

Tried Disk Utility and it DOES show up there - I have installed and uninstalled the WD Drive Utilities and am currently running “Complete Drive Test” (30% complete)

Either way, my hard drive has everything on it and I need to recover the data!

Need to figure out what’s wrong and if I need to recover data and if so, which program to use.

Any help is appreciated. Please?

jonabrams wrote:

I’m having a similar problem… Hard drive was working ok until tonight. I’m usually quite careful about unplugging it so not sure how it could have become corrupted.

You do not say what your similar problem is.  Before unplugging, you must FIRST EJECT the disk.  Was this done?

Have you tried repairing permissions & restarting your comp?