My Passport for Mac - Yosemite

HI I’m new as well.  The SMC strategy does not seem applicable to MacBook Pro?  Is there something comparable for the MacBook Pro running OSX Yosemite 10.10.2?  I bought the WD My Passport Pro 2 TB with the Thunderbolt connection.  Nothing happens when I plug the WD into my computer.  No lights, no sounds, no recognition anywhere.  WD support is recommending sending this WD device back and replacing it.  I’m not sure this device is a good match for my computer and the 10.10.2 OSX.  Does anyone run any WD portable external HD seamlessly with a MacBook Pro?  Jeremiah49

mousetarget wrote:

No problem, SMC stands for the System Management Control - it controls electrical supply in the iMac as well as alot of other things - to reset it shut down your iMac, then remove disconnect anything else to the iMac - USB leads, mouse, printers etc. Remove the power cable from the back of the Imac.

Then wait for 15 seconds - then plug the power lead back into the iMac and attach all other leads again and start up. And thats it - hope this helps as this problem drove me crazy with the WD drive for over a week!