My Passport Ultra Mac Installation Error

I am using a 2010 Model Macbook Pro with OSX Yosemite v. 10.10.2.

About a year and a half ago I purchased a silver “My Passport” 1TB external hard drive, which I mostly use for personal projects. I’ve recently undertaken a large video project and so I was given a new (still in package) My Passport Ultra 1TB drive (The black version with the dotted design on the top), and I attempted to install the drive, using the manual as reference.

I chose not to use it as a time capsule, due to the fact that I would be returning it to the project leader and that I didn’t want my personal documents to be put onto the drive. The “WD Apps setup.exe” only works on a windows computer, so I opened and installed the mac folder on the drive, but it still said that the drive was “read only” when I attempted to create a Final cut pro X library on the passport. 

I then went into the WD Drive Utilities app to see if I had to unlock the drive somehow, and accidentally clicked the “sleep timer” function. I then turned the sleep timer function off, but for some reason, whenever I plug in either the year old grey My Passport 1TB or the newer black My Passport Ultra 1TB drive, they both appear on my desktop for about 30 seconds and then dissapear/disconnect.

I have no idea how to solve this problem and there doesn’t seem to be anything online about it?

Hello and welcome to the WD community.

In order to use your new passport on the computer i recommend reformatting the drive on the Mac, you can try this in order to format the drive on Mac:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=3865#maveandyose

Regarding the disconnection issue, what happens if you uninstall the WD utilities from the computer, do the drives keep disappearing?

Great, that worked! Thank you.