My Passport Stalls my Macbook Air

I have a WD My Passport.  Which I have used to backup my MacBook Air automatically.  I travel with my Mac so I often disconnect it and then reconnect when I return.  I also have an SP external hard drive that I back up to so that I have two copies.  I dont connect them at the same time.  Both connect via USB.  Both have worked well for the past year or so in this set up.  Recently the My Passport brings my Mac to a stop when I connect it.  After being connected for a few moments I get the Mac Beach Ball and can access no other programs, etc… or even get to the force quit feature.  To stop this I have to disconnect the My Passport and restart the computer using the power button.  The SP drive works fine.  I did not have any WD software installed up to this point but to try to solve the problem I downloaded some of the downloadable software (firmware update, turbo, security, etc…) but none of those seemed to make any difference.  If it is worth knowing I have a google drive that is synching to this machine as well.  Any suggestions as to how to isolate the problem and correct would be helpful.  Thank you for your assistance!!!  

Hello,

I recommend you try the drive on another computer just for troubleshooting purposes.

You can also plug the drive to a Windows PC and run a diagnostic using WD DLG.