My Passport Firmware Update Problems

Hi everyone,

I bought MY PASSPORT STUDIO some month ago. When I started it again (appr. 3 weeks ago)  the smartware showed that I should make a firmware update. So I made the firmware update (Mac OS X 10.6.7). After the update was done it was written that I should disconnect my drive, restart my mac and connect the drive again. So I did as I should… But nthng happened. What I mean is that the Mac wasnt able to recognize the MY PASSPORT STUDIO and so I wasnt able to get my data!

I called the support but they just said that I should send them back the drive to get a new one and that there is no warranty for my files! I have important files on that drive which I havent been able to use since than! After I wrote back an email to the support that I do need my files they wrote back that I should try the firmware update on a win OS. I tried on Win Vista and Win 7 without success. So I contacted the support again 2 weeks ago and since then I am waiting for an answer. Instead of an answer these guys are inviting me to join a "customer satisfaction poll"... Its just ridiculous!

Meanwhile I tried to find a solution by myself. By investigating in the web I found that they know the problem for a long time, at least apr. last year, look at the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/My-Passport-for-Mac-frimware-update-problem/td-p/17742 

It must be a bad joke that these guys are still providing a non-working firmware via internet and that they don`t feel responsible for the mess they caused! Beside the mental anger I suffer I really do have financial loss  because of a big company who is obviously not able to provide correct working software for the equipment they sell!

Does anyone know any solution, can anyone help me PLEASE! 

Have you tried re-running the updater?  The update probably failed, re-running should work fine.

Hi,

first of all tnx a lot for your reply. I tried re-running the updater several times, on Mac OS-X and as I mentioned on Win Vista and Win 7, unfortunatly without succes. I was thinking about reinstalling the former firmware but unfortunatly I couldn`t find the older versions.

I have the same problem.

I tried to upgrade to version 1012 but now I have a bricked disk.