My Passport Essentials 750GB Portable Hard Drive on MacBook Pro

Hi there,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and have been trying to organise the files on my hard drive (My Passport Essentials 750GB) through this laptop.

Now, the system lets me open files - that is, it is “read only” but it doesn’t let me create new folders or organise files the way I want it. When I try to create a folder from the File drop-down menu, the option for “New Folder” is ‘grayed out’.

Could someone please let me know how I can change settings or whatever solution there is to this problem?

I was previously using a laptop based on Windows Vista so I didn’t experience these problems before; now I just don’t know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’ve started uni again and all my lecture notes and files are on my hard drive so it would be great if I can get this fixed somehow so I can get on to organising it all for study!

I can be quite technologically challenged so if there’s more info that you need please let me know and I will get back to you with a reply.

Thanks in advance!

This is happening because your drive is formatted to work with Windows computers. You can download the application :

NTFS-3G 

You can download this software, it will allow you to use your drive in your Mac.

you might want to spend some time learning the differences between your mac and the vista laptop you owned.  they are different and not really cross compatible.  for example you just can’t load the same software on both of them.