My Passport Essential SE on MAC

Been running the drive for a few months, a lot on there but not full. One day I plug it in and nothing shows! 

I been trawling the net to find an answer, but nothing conclusive. It works fine on a PC, it powers up on the Mac, and smartware tells me what’s up, but I can’t access files.

I can’t find it showing anywhere on my system. Looked in all the ususal places…

It’s not hidden either. I can’t run updates or do anything else. All it shows me is the data on my Mac.

I’m running Snow Leopard OSX 

Need to access the drive from Mac. How do I make it show again? 

Forget about Smartware , if you used on Windows Smartware will not read the drive unless formatted for Mac.

Since the drive is not on the desktop… is the drive password protected?

Please unlock the drive if you have a password.

Check disk utility and see if the partition is there.  The drive is working since the PC works fine, the Mac should read the drive to get the files but can not use for backup due to been an NTFS partition.

You can use NTFS 3G to write on the Mac and avoid formatting the drive. 

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. The drive was formatted for Mac when we first got it.

It is not locked. I have been using it with no problems on the Mac for several months, and after it failed to appear for no obvious reason, I tried it on windows to find out if the probem was a faulty drive or cord. 

There is no sign of the drive in Disk Utility or anywhere else including hidden files etc…

Should I still explore the NTFS 3G option? and what is that anyway?

kindest regards…

no need to try NTFS 3G if already formatted for Mac. This application allows you to write to drives that have been formatted for Windows.

If you already tried a different cable and different computer the last option is to _ try _ to update the firmware on Windows.

some people have had luck with that in the past.