My Passport Essential SE Portable Hard Drive

I’m not sure if anyone else has this problem but I have a 1TB portable external with USB 3.0 where I store all my music, movies, and pictures as I have run out of space on my macbook.  Ever since I bought it, I always have this error message:

WD My Passport 0740 Media is in use and cannot be powered off. Try quitting applications and try again.

The message likes to pop up as many as five windows at once (see below) and while I’m listening to music— I have my iTunes redirected so that it accesses music from the external.

Also it likes to crash; I don’t unmount it nor do I fiddle around with the cable connecting my macbook and hard drive. This mostly happens while I’m backing up my files or while I’m accessing data on my external from my PS3— I’ve synced my PS3 to my laptop so that I would be able to watch movies on my PS3 rather than on my laptop.

If someone could tell me how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.

To reiterate: My problem is that the message below keeps appearing every time I use my external and as many as five at once. I’m not trying to unmount the drive, I just want to know WHY this keeps appearing and if there’s a way to stop it from appearing.

Are you using the USB cable that came with the passport and have it connected directly to the Mac? If not that could be the problem.

Yes I am using the same cable that came in the box and yes it is directly connected to my laptop.

Make sure all open apps are close including Itunes.

Try restarting the computer and then see if you can unmount the drive safely

That’s not my problem… I can unmount it just fine without having to restart my laptop.

I’m trying to figure out a solution as to WHY this error message keeps popping up while I’m using it. As I previously mentioned, I’m not trying to unmount the external while it’s in use nor do I touch the connection between the cable and port

my bad…

could be a power issue…

try using a powered usb hub or a power booster…

Seems you are getting this message when the drive is in use cause it might draw more power than the one provided on the USB port on the Macbook