My Passport 750 GB not recognized on Powerbook PPC, running Mac OS 10.5.8

After successfully using this drive for some time to run PPC/Leopard software on Leopard, I found that I needed to reformat the drive to HSF+ (Mac OS Extended (journaled)), in order for Adobe Creative Suite 2 to function…

I reformatted the disk successfully, using my MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo, under Mac 10.7.5. Now I find that when I attempt to mount the disk on my PowerBook, the drive sounds like it is continually cycling through the mount procedure, but never completes.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the drive (while on the MacBook Intel), hoping that would solve the problem, but it did not. The My Passbook is now unusable where it was formerly usable! Can you help? Many thanks.

Hello,

It is possible that the clicking sound is due to a power issue. Make sure the drive is plugged in directly into a wall since sometimes a power strip, surge protector or extension cord might be the cause of this issue.

“It is possible that the clicking sound is due to a power issue. Make sure the drive is plugged in directly into a wall since sometimes a power strip, surge protector or extension cord might be the cause of this issue.”

Don’t understand this comment. The My Passport is a portable drive, powered through the USB. I did try switching USB ports, but that made no difference.

Hello,

You are correct, I missed the fact that you have a Passport, I though it was a My Book. I apologize.

Since you have a Passport you can try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Disconnect the drive from the computer and restart the computer.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the computer, not through a hub).

3- Go to "Disk Utility” to verify if the drive shows up there.

If the drive shows up in disk utility but it is not seen on the computer, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

Yes, the problem is that the disk never mounts, so I never get an opportunity to try disk utility on it.

This is a combo 2.0/3.0 USB unit. That might be a clue to its quirkiness? The problem with that is, it worked in the past. It was my Leopard boot disk, created on a Powerbook G4 PPC, running Leopard. I used this disk as a boot-up drive to run 32-bit applications under 10.5.8 (Leopard) from my Macbook.

Then I discovered that the reason I hadn’t been able to properly save documents under Adobe CS2 was that the My Passport had been formatted as a “Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled). I had to reformat Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” (HFS+) in order to write Adobe CS2 documents.

So, being on my Macbook, running Lion (10.7.5) at the time, I reformatted the disk there. That went fine, but when I tried to mount on the Powerbook G4, the mount never completed: just an endlessly repetitive “whirrrrrrr-click, whirrrrrr-click.”

Thanks for looking into this!