My Book for Mac unmounting before I can do access it

I literally just got this drive today.  I installed the utility software, but not the security software.  All that went well.  I got it registered.  Now the hard drive automatically unmounts before I can do anything with it.  The icon appears on the screen for a few seconds; then disappears.  I uninstalled the software, rebooted, and it keeps doing the same thing.  I’ve read that others have had similar problems, but haven’t seen a viable solution.  It’s incredibly frustrating and, quite frankly ridiculous, to have to waste time with this thing when it’s a brand new product supposedly designed specifically for use with a Mac.  Any ideas?  If I can’t get this thing working by tomorrow, I’m giving up and returning it.  

I have a mid-2009 MBP running snow leopard.  Yes, it’s old, but it still works just fine, except with this drive.  

Hi, I am having the same problem.  I just uninstalled the utility software update and now I can see the drive but just like yours, it disappears and I’m unable to access it.  Luckily, I can see that my files are still there.  

Hello and welcome to the WD community

We have passed this along to support

Some more feedback on this issue for you.

Exactly the same has just happened to me… in my case also a 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.8) in a good state

I just managed to go as far as registering the unit… then all of a sudden it unmounts… I uninstalled everything and now I have not even been able to install the software again because every single time I plug the unit to any of the 2 usb ports it just stays visible on the desktop for a couple of seconds, not enough time to drag anything into the Applications folder…

I am guessing if it is not compatible with my OS? In any case, I will just ask for a refund tomorrow, can’t waste my time…

I just bought a my book 6TB and am having the same problem. I returned one drive and am now headed back to the store to return the second one and buy a Seagate. What a waste of my time. I’ve stopped buying WD for a while but thought they were ok, guess not.