My Book Thunderbolt Duo stopped working, just flashing red-white for a 1 second

Hello

Just got really bad news with my 2 x 2 TB Thunderbolt Duo drive, worked OK over year, never changed machine or drives. Not even moved or disconnected drive, ever. Now not powering up, flashing red and white for a moment and goes blank. Found similar cases in forum but NO solution.

Changed power adapter - nothing, still the same.

Any possible way at least  save data from this RAID 0 disks ?

Computer: iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)   OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Priit

Welcome to the Community.

Unfortunately, RAID 0 does not feature any form of fault tolerance against drive failure or controller failure. I’d recommend contacting a specialized data recovery company for analysis.

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

did you put the thunderbolt the right way ?

i have had that problem when i fitted it wrongly (into the imac or the duo)

i have had a couple of red led blinking and than black,

reversed plug (not cable from the imac, just the plug into the machine(s))

Great news!

Found out that problem was only Thunderbolt cable, in some cases its not giving contact. Even if I moved it from one port to another. Replaced it - all works again.

Please be awere that this flashing is normal startup !!! (as it seems) unfortunately this is not written in manual (please put it there) and I never disconnected drive power so did not know that, thats the reason why I thoght there is problem with device. So if youre computer loosing contact, check the cables, 10 times and try to replace them, before sending hard drives to data recovery.

All the best

Priit

1 Like

Gosh i have the same issue now. Suddenly it was ejected randomly. Blinking Red LED. and it has strange sound.

I’ve tried to reversed plug or swap ports on both the duo or my macbook pro. If i’m not plugged it to my macbook pro, it sounds normal.

I’m so scared i might lose all 4TB projects on RAID 0 or worst, my macbook pro Thunderbolt ports was defective

At this moment i do not have spare TB cable. :disappointed_relieved: and projects are waiting to be sent

EDIT:
I attached 3 of My Book Studio Firewire daisy chained to the Duo using FW to TB, These drives are successfully mounted without issue. Only the Duo disappear from the system