My Book Studio ll RAID 1 degraded

Drive Manager is telling me that the RAID status on one of my 2TB Studio lls is degraded; on further checking DM says that Disk A is missing. Since it’s a RAID 1 configuration I haven’t lost any data, and I’ve now copied all the data onto another RAID drive, so everything is backed up.

My understanding is that I should replace the missing disk with an identical disk with identical firmware, and the RAID will rebuild itself. However since I’m in Russia I anticipate problems finding an identical disk, and even if I do it may not have the same version firmware as the sick disk.

So what are my options? Will an identical disk with different firmware work? Could I reformat the sick drive in another enclosure and see if that helps? Or wipe the data on the My Book & try reformatting both disks? If I just throw away the sick disk will the My Book continue to work with just one disk? That way I could at least use it as a 1TB back-up drive.

I haven’t dealt with RAID issues before, so I’d be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Nicholl

As long as the replacement hard drive is for the same model you should not have problems with the firmware. You can also check the sick disk with DLG.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyODEyMjcyNS9zaWQvRGhtcWNEUGs%3D