My Book Studio II - Move RAID1 setup to new enclosure

Hi all.

I’ve recently received a replacement MyBook Studio II from WD, containing two new, blank, drives. I had the unit replaced because the front panel LEDs were failing. Note that both of my current drives are fine and the enclosure reads and writes fine.

Now, what is the best way to move my data to the new enclosure? Do I:

A) Remove both of the blank drives in the new enclosure and insert both of my current drives? Will this keep my RAID1 setup intact?

B) Remove one blank drive from the new enclosure and replace it with a current drive? I presume this will initiate a RAID rebuild onto the blank drive? Does anything need to be set up beforehand? The drive is formatted for NTFS.

C) Use another drive to hold all the data and transfer it manually between the two enclosures.

I would like to go with option A as I’m hoping it will avoid the rebuild process and just continue as normal. The only thing holding me back is that I don’t want the enclosure to reject the drives and try to format them or something!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

Hello,

My recommendation would be option C. I understand that when you connect the drives to the new enclosure it will try to rebuild the RAID and it will format the drives, even if you try to connect them one by one.