My Book Studio II - Alternative to WD Drive Manager - False Faulty Degrade - PowerSave Issues

I just purchased a My Book Studio II - 4TB about 4 weeks ago. It’s a great unit if only you could control the PowerSave. I am running it in a RAID 1 with one large NTFS partition on Windows. Anyways, I just had a drive detect as faulty. I pulled the drive, installed it in a second enclosure I had…And it worked flawlessly. I ran a few diagnostic tests(with WD Lifeguard) and could not get the drive to fail or error. I think the PowerSave feature caused a delayed startup of the drive and it threw a false faulty reading. I tossed the drive back in and the RAID started rebuilding and it now shows as healthy. I’ve also encountered the drive disappearing, I think it’s also caused by the WD Drive Manager and not waking the drive from PowerSave. I have been looking for a way to disable PowerSave and can’t find an option. It’s tempting to write a script that will access the drive or create and delete a folder every 10 or 15 minutes causing the drive not to enter PowerSave. I also installed the WD Lifeguard tool, it can actually detect the raid status. But you have to manually run that application. I would really like an alternative to WD Drive Manager that can detect issues with the RAID…I’ve got it running in a room I don’t enter much and would like to be able to remotely monitor the status of the RAID. Any ideas or similar problems?

The My Book case might be giving you that problem, contact tech support for any suggestions and to check the warranty.

WD upgraded my unit to the 6TB Model. I haven’t had any issues with it yet. *Knock* on wood.