My Book Studio 3TB USB 3.0 drive not Bootable

Hello, I purchased a brand new My Book Studio 3TB USB 3.0 drive (WDBHML0030HAL-NESN) for use with a Macbook Pro Retina and OS 10.9.2. In System Preference, I am able to specify the drive as a Start-up disk and it works fine.

However, when booting to Startup Manager (by pressing the Option Key at Startup), my My Book Studio does not show-up. Is this drive supposed to be bootable via USB 3.0? How I can get the drive to show-up as a bootable option?

Thanks,

Cory Hide Section - Category  Product Details

CKWmpro,

Unfortunately, that particular variation model of the WD My Book Studio is not listed as bootable. For a list of WD Products confirmed to be bootable, please visit the following link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1787/

1 Like

I have a similar issue. When trying to boot up my oldish iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, the desktop will not boot up and gets stuck on a grey screen. If I disconnect the WD drive the computer will boot up. I then have to plug in the WD drive again and the drive will appear on the desktop. It does appear to back up on an hourly basis but I’m worried plugging and unpluuging the WD drive will cause damage. It’s scertainly not a very practical or smooth way of using a backup drive