Regular Visitor
plpjhnsn

My Book Pro Edition WD5000E032 - powers up, spins, but makes clicking sound - Mac cannot read disk

Hi,

I have been using this WD external drive for backups since 2009.  Today, it started making a clicking sound as it was powering up.  The light comes on, the disk spins and this clicking sound repeats about 6 times at 10 second intervals.  This clinking suggests that a mechanical part is trying to engage. A message eventually appears on the desktop - "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.  Initialize   Ignore   Eject"  (choose one).

I suspect a broken part.  What is the likely source of this noise?  And what is the possibility that the disk can be repaired OR that the data on it can be recovered?

I use it with 2 computers - MacBook (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), OS 10.6.8 ; and  iMac (3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), OS 10.6.8.

Thanks

Honored Contributor
Alucardx23

Re: My Book Pro Edition WD5000E032 - powers up, spins, but makes clicking sound - Mac cannot read d

Hi, when you hear a clicking sound is usually beyond do it your self repair, if you need to recover the data it will be with a professional data recovery company.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD