My Book Essential + Mountain Lion + Mid 2012 Mac Book Pro (Retina display)

I have spent a significant amount of time trying to get this new laptop to acknowledge the existence of my external drive, but nothing has helped.  I have spent a couple of hours with Apple support and also called WD support.  Here is my WD case number [Edited].  The less than helpful support rep told me WD is still working on support for Mountain Lion.  Let me know if anyone out there hears or experiences anything different.  BTW, a Seagate external USB 3 drive works just fine on the same hardware.

George

Does the my book works fine when connected to another PC/Mac?

Works fine on other computers.  Both Mac and Windows.  This is a specific problem related to current generation Macbook Pro.

Having the same problem with the same drive.  Last week I upgraded my one year old iMac from Lion to Mountain Lion and now the computer won’t recognize the drive.  I called WD tech support and he thought it was a drive to computer cable issue or a power cable issue.  I assured him that everything was properly connected.  In the disk utlities, when the drive is connected it does show the drive but there is nothing I can do with it, so I don’t think it is a cable connection issue.  He then told me to re-format the drive and gave me a case number.  He never recognized after I repeatedly told him that this is a comptibility issue between the WD drive and ML operating system, even though I told him a Google search has examples of comptibility issues.  The next day I called WD tech support back, knowing that I probably would get a different person (who spoke worse English than the first person) and we went through the issue that I was having.  I finally got him to admit that there is a compatibility issue between WD drives and MAC ML.  He said keep checking the web site for updates. All in all this is one of the worst tech support experiences I have had.  They didn’t seem very competent and I consider myself very tech savvy able to work through most issues.  I guess these drives are dead in the water until WD fixes the situation.  I have tried the drive on a PC computer which didn’t work and I ask a coworker who has a Lion computer so that I can hook the drive to it.

I had the same issue with my My Passport Essential SE when I tried to format it for Mac using a new July 2012 Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. The MBP would not recognise it, but an older MBP running Lion did and just having USB2. The issue seems to be that the USB3 connection will not work with a MBP that has USB3. If the MBP only has USB2, all is fine. WD need to make sure that their USB3 is compatible with Apple’s.

I am having the same problem.  My hard drive works fine on my older MacBook Pro, but will not work on the one I just purchased (which is my wife’s system). There is a firmware upgrade available at the WD site, and this did help. Before the firmware upgrade the MacBook did not recognize the device. Now, it recognizes it but as soon as I try to write to it the device is disconnected.  This behavior is the same in Disk Utility and CClone.