My Book Essential 3.0 unmounts a few seconds after mounting

This drive is only about 2 months old and I’ve been using it without trouble to this point. Yesterday I went to plug my drive into my laptop it mounted fine, but it unmounted after about 5 seconds. I tried plugging it in a few more times with the same result.

I’ve tried plugging it into another computer and plugging it into another power outlet, unsuccessfuly. I’m fairly certain power isn’t the problem, since the drive’s light stays on throughout. The drive also keeps spinning throughout.

The only thing making me think that it’s not the cable that’s at fault is that I tried verifying the disk in the small window of time I have with it mounted and Disk Utility tells me that the drive needs to be repaired.

What steps should I take from here?

(MacbookPro4,1, Mac OSX 10.6.8, My Book WDBACW0020HBK-NESN)

EDIT: I just realized that I can use the USB cord that came with my android to connect to the usb 3.0 port. The drive had the same behaviour as with the other cable.

This is happening to me as well…My drive is only six months old… It started out with randomly unmounting itself…But now it won’t mount on my Mac at all…I’ve tried a second cord as well as numerous computers…Took it to Best Buy just now and they can’t get it to mount either…I’m about to lose a lot of files that I had moved over to that drive and off my computer that I don’t have duplicates of…A full data recovery is $300 which I don’t have the money for…Also a waste of $139 on the drive…

Can you guys give me the exact model numbers of these drives?

Hi,

I also am experiencing a USB3.0 1TB My Passport unmounting my itself during use, this happens on a Mac Book Pro running 10.6.8 OSX.

I only bought 2 drives  this week for off site backups and this make the drive useless.

Help please.

Regards

Kenelm

I gave the model number of mine in the original post. WDBACW0020HBK-NES

Can the rest of you post your model numbers?  I’m having someone look into this.

I’ve been told that you should RMA the drive.  If you need the data then you will need to do data recovery first.

this is happening to me as well should i RMA my 2tb as well?

darkmario wrote:

this is happening to me as well should i RMA my 2tb as well?

What is happening?  There were several things going on in this thread.

I am having the same issue, but mine is giving me the “safely remove hardware” message. I plug it in and after reading it for 5-10 seconds it shuts down and gives me this message. This happened while I was transferring files to my WD 1 TB HD. I filled it up and was deleting files to make room and all of a sudden it ejects itself and gives me the message. Can someone please help. I don’t want to lose all this info and I really don’t want to pay anything to fix this. I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in ’10 and the HD is only 3 weeks out of the box.

:arrow_forward: The same happened to me this summer. I was playing a movie and suddenly it froze on a frame and the drive got unmonted. Tried to reboot the system. The drive appears only to disappear a few seconds later.

First I thought it was the USB 3.0 cable. I purchased a new one. Same problem.

Plugging the drive to another USB doesn’t work either, nor connecting the drive to another computer.

The P/N is: WDBACW0020HBK-00

The S/N is: [Deleted]

Thank you.

Was there a fix to this issue i just got mine today and this is happening i added some files and in the process of that it just ejects itself. But right now im erasing all the data in it and it deosnt turn off at all.

I

Sunlis wrote:

This drive is only about 2 months old and I’ve been using it without trouble to this point. Yesterday I went to plug my drive into my laptop it mounted fine, but it unmounted after about 5 seconds. I tried plugging it in a few more times with the same result.

I’ve tried plugging it into another computer and plugging it into another power outlet, unsuccessfuly. I’m fairly certain power isn’t the problem, since the drive’s light stays on throughout. The drive also keeps spinning throughout.

The only thing making me think that it’s not the cable that’s at fault is that I tried verifying the disk in the small window of time I have with it mounted and Disk Utility tells me that the drive needs to be repaired.

What steps should I take from here?

(MacbookPro4,1, Mac OSX 10.6.8, My Book WDBACW0020HBK-NESN)

EDIT: I just realized that I can use the USB cord that came with my android to connect to the usb 3.0 port. The drive had the same behaviour as with the other cable.

I had similar issues after disabling WD Smartware virtual disk.  Now that I have turned it back on, I am not experiencing the constant unmounting and mounting that was plaguing me and my MacBook Pro previously. Good luck. Glenn

I did a RMA with WD and received a new drive (I think, foggy on the date) back in late August. The first thing I did was reformat it and delete the WD software and it’s still working perfectly. I’m not a fan of using software to work with my drives - I just want a drive.

I agree with you. I was not using the software for the MyBook T2, but the virtual disk always mounted when I mounted the drive though I never installed a thing from it.

I had seen mention of the Virtual CD Manager and investigated the ability to make the disk disappear. It was only after the use of the manager that I started experiencing any anomalies with MyBook T2.

All along, I thought the problem with the spontaneous “umnounting” was related to a kind of handshake loss…that they had stopped talking. Which this relationship seems to confirm or at the very least gives a clue to the error that the drive is experiencing. 

I had the same problem but I fixed it by Uninstalling WD SmartWare.

Apple themselves informed me because this product is not supported by apple to seek technical support by calling 293948584 and directly talk to to munufacturer of My Book support to resolve remounting my Book 2.0 or I’m going to loose close to a couple of thousand dollars of itunes movies i unfutunately back to this external hard drive. I’ve tried usind disk utility to verify and repair the vault but it’s not a direct apple product so apple technical support staff can’t support you if your h/drive unmounts. They’ll give you a number to ring during est times to seek support about a remount issue.

I expected higher standards whem purchasing apple related products and this one is giving me nothing but drama’s

Maher

My 3 TB ‘My Book Essential’ has started doing the same thing too - right in the middle of uploading photos to flickr. I use it with a MacBook Pro. Initially when I bought it it had problems unmounting at random intervals (after 5 mins or 10 mins etc), but after taking off the WD ‘SmartWare’ that came on the drive I had no further problems.  Just last week it started unmounting immediately - just seconds after mounting. It shows up (files and all), loads, and then immediately disappears and gives me a warning about unplugging devices without ejecting. It is still connected however, the light is still on and sounds like the disks are still spinning even. 

Aside from hoping that i don’t have to replace a HD that I JUST upgraded, I am really hoping that at least I can recover all of my files, though haven’t had luck on a Mac or Windows based machine so far.