My Book Essential 2T Won't Mount or Show Up On Computer-No Reason Why

I have a My Book Essential 2T external that just stopped working the other day. I don’t know why. I might have removed it without ejecting it, but I don’t remember. However, since the other day it has not worked and unless I did that, there’s no other reason why it shouldn’t work that I know of. Did it just fail? I’ve had it less than six months. I have 2 other drives, a 2T and a 1T that were bout at teh same time and still work perfectly fine.

I’m running it on OSX 10.6.4 almost always. It will not show up in System Profiler or Disk Utility. I tried connecting it to a PC and nothing. I’ve tried connecting it to the computer and leaving it and it never shows up. I’ve tried using different cords (power and USB) and nothing. It lights up, makes sound, but never mounts. I’ve reset my PRAM, nope. I’ve tried everything that I know.

The only thing that might have messed it up that I know of is disconnecting without ejecting, if I even did that. If not, then there’s nothing that I know that happened. I’ve searched the forums without finding anything. I’ve googled it without nothing. Can anyone please help. Thanks so much.

It sounds like the drive may be damaged. You’ve done most of the basic troubleshooting… since it’s not recognized at all on multiple computers using different cables theres not a lot left to try. Call support, and if they can’t help it’s time for an RMA.

I doubt that disconnecting it without ejecting caused this. Doing that can indeed damage the drive, but only causing corruption on the partition or file system, meaning it would still show on disk utility. This is something else. It might be the interface that is damaged and not allowing you to comunicate with the drive so data recovery might be easy if needed be.