My Book 2TB Not Recognized on MBP OSX LION

I has worked sporatically in the past, meaning sometimes it wanted to show up but most times it didn’t show. It has gone through some decent stretches (3 weeks or so) where it works fine. Now it doesn’t work at all. Disk Utiity doesn’t recognize it. This is my back up drive I use with Time Machine and I haven’t had a backup since March 6th. I can’t afford to not be backed up. 

What do I do now? It’s less than a year old, I got it in September of last year. I think I may have gotten a dud. Should I just ask Western Digital for a replacement? My other external is a 1TB My book which is 3 or 4 years old and it still works great. 

Hi.

I’m sorry to hear the problem.  

If you haven’t try DiskWarrior, you should give it a try. It’s cotly utility app but it’s worth to have one.

Well, the HDD has been unstable on Lion although WD claim that it works on Lion.

They released a new firmware update in October last year  but I was even able to apply it.  A problem occurs when you try to update the firmware.  No matter how many times I tried, it didn’t work. I contacted with the customer support and exchanged e-mails and they couldn’t give me a solution. Hope they will solve the problem . It could be because of the firmware.

I used to depend on one backup but now I use the only unlimited online backup service called Backblaze.

It’s $5 a month and unlimited. Unlike another service Mozy(used to be the only unlimited online backup service), it never slows downs the performance and work beautifully. I suggest that you check it out. Having a backup on external HDD is good but sitll having a backup only on external hard drive  has some risks and losing your precious data is a nightmare., so we need a backup of a back up nowadays.

1 Like

Atarigraffx wrote:

I has worked sporatically in the past, meaning sometimes it wanted to show up but most times it didn’t show. It has gone through some decent stretches (3 weeks or so) where it works fine. Now it doesn’t work at all. Disk Utiity doesn’t recognize it. This is my back up drive I use with Time Machine and I haven’t had a backup since March 6th. I can’t afford to not be backed up. 

What do I do now? It’s less than a year old, I got it in September of last year. I think I may have gotten a dud. Should I just ask Western Digital for a replacement? My other external is a 1TB My book which is 3 or 4 years old and it still works great. 

try a different cable and different computer if you can…

if disk utility does not recognize the drive you will not be able to use a Data Recovery software

Replacing will be the last option 

What are the odds that Disk Warrior will show it when Disk Utility can’t. Is it really that much better?

Atarigraffx wrote:

What are the odds that Disk Warrior will show it when Disk Utility can’t. Is it really that much better?

nope… the software will not see the drive if the computer does not see it.

as a last resort  connect to windows attempt a firmware update and see how it goes…

Disk Utility is here running since 28 hours and meanwhile showing 10% progress again. And there is no support from WD. We phoned them and they said we shuld get back to them when the test finished - haha - it is nnever finishing, that is why they tell you this! So we are somewhat in a loop since 3 days meanwhile!