Maximum HD drive replacement for WD My Book Studio (2012), model WDBC3G0020HAL-00

Hello all

I wanted to remove the 2 TB hard drive, and upgrade the drive to a 3TB or 4TB.  The old drive I will just tuck it away for use with a third party hard drive dock when needed.  

I love this 2012 My Book Studio (metal) enclosure, and the FW800 works well with the older mac I am using, and so it would be great to continue using the enclosure with this older mac.

Before I take anything apart, I wanted to know the maximum size HD I can put in there?   Through the vent holes I can see there is just a single HD inside (a 2TB).

This is the model WDBC3G0020HAL-00,  like this one at BH,   http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/810944-REG/Western_Digital_WDBC3G0020HAL_NESN_My_Book_Studio_External.html

I appreciate in advance any suggestions/information you can provide. 

Regards

Don

Some Users have reported they have been unable to upgrade the hard drive due to controller/compatibility issues. 

Thank you so much for your timely response…and yes you are correct that this model does not support a larger drive.

Today I received an email from WD Support saying    “…the circuit board on the enclosure does not support hard drives with more capacity”.

So questioned answered.  

I think what I will do,  is just empty the Studio drive’s contents onto a another USB dock drive.  That way I can still keep using my Studio as a TM backup for this older MAC.  Although I am saddened that I cannot upgrade the drive to a larger one, I can keep usiing the Studio…So simple solution found.

Regards

Don