Mac book cant read My passport essential 1tb after a OSX hang up

I have a my passport essential 1tb. my Mac got hung up, then i had to press the power button to shut down the Mac, after that, the Mac cant read that HDD but the led is still on.

I am not sure what is the problem for the HDD. However, it contains all my private data even my project which i am working on.

So how can i solve this, i purchased the HDD about 2 years ago

Hi,

If the drive is not seen on you connect it to your Mac. I recommend that you follow some basic troubleshooting.

1- Disconnect the drive from the computer and restart the computer.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the computer port, not through a hub).

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound Mac makes when recognizes a USB device.

4- Go to disk utility, and verify if the drive shows.

If it is seen on disk utility but not on the desktop it means the partition is corrupted and you will need to format the drive. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

1 Like

thanks for replying,

is there anyway to save the data? i only use that hdd for backking up, just simply plug it in the mac and let it does the job that’s it. what if i have formatted the hdd and it’s still having that problem then what can i do next?

CAN I GET REPLACEMENT FOR THE HDD? BECAUSE I SEE THAT IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY? I AM IN AUSTRALIA

You need to replace the drive if it continues to act up like that, and yes you can get a replacement if it’s under warranty.  Check out our RMA service at the link below.

http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=rmacreate&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en