Occasional Visitor
chiccaboom

I can't format my WD external hard drive to FAT32?!!

Hi All,

I recently received an external hard drive for my bday and my friend loaded a ton of pictures and movies onto it for me. However, I can't actually use the hard drive myself. For example I can't add anything onto it. I did a little search through these dorums and it seems like I ned to format the hard drive to FAT32 in order to add things to it. However, I can't seem to do that when I follow these instructions:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/291/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwOTE5MzU2Ni9zaWQvOXZFb1N6eGs%...

When I click on the tab "patition" the options button is greyed out and won't let me go to the next step in the instructions. Can anyone tell what I can do to resolve this?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: I can't format my WD external hard drive to FAT32?!!

If you haven't formatted the drive yet you can still use it with your Mac. Download NTFS-3G http://mac-free.com/download/NTFS-3G.html Then it should make the drive useable on Mac and Windows. Formatting FAT32 has a maxfile size of 4 gig and is more easily corrupted.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Respected Contributor
Wayne

Re: I can't format my WD external hard drive to FAT32?!!

why would you want to format a drive to fat32? are you using a mac or pc to read the drive, or both?  and did your friend load the files from a mac or a pc?  and you do know that converting to fat32 will limit the file sizes to 4gb's right?

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD