Help WD MY BOOK STUDIO DRIVE DISCONNECTED AFTER OS X YOSEMITE UPDATE

After updating OS X Yosemite on my iMac, and restarting it. I found that the icon on my Desktop for WD MY BOOK STUDIO had disappeared. It had also gone in Finder. When I tried to backup my computer. I got the message “Backup Disc Not Available” Try backing up again when My Book Studio is available. I then went to WD Drive Utilities and tried to use the diagnostics. I couldn’t use them. I just got the message “Attach a supported WD Drive”. I then went to system preferences to check the drive. When I went to reattach the drive. The only buttons available to me where CANCEL and REMOVE THE DRIVE. If the drive was not attached, why is there a button to remove it? What has gone wrong, and how can it be remedied, without losing my existing data?

Welcome to the WD Community.

How is the drive showing under disk utilities? 

See if the following link helps

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1362/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzNTc4MzcxNS9zaWQvdGdQOWppcW0%3D

Also you can try testing the unit

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/866/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM1NzgzNzUxL3NpZC90Z1A5amlxbQ%3D%3D

Hi there, we have passed this along to support.

I have a similar problem. My WD Studio connects with no problem to an old imac running 10.8.5. And shows up on the network with no problem. But if I connect it directly to a newer imac that uses Yosemite, it does not connect. The light  flickers briefly at startup and then goes dark. The disk does not show up on Finder or Disk Utility. I installed WD Drive Manager and WD SmartWare on the newer imac to no avail. I also waited more than 10 minutes to see if the disk would eventually appear (from another troubleshooting page). I really don’t want to have to buy a new external hard drive for my newer imac. Am I missing something?

Hi there, my external hard drive appears to be working now, on Yosemite. My iMac took a long time to recognise it after my update of the OS X System. Everything is running a lot slower, after the update. I’ve tested it, with both the WD utility, and that of the iMac. In both cases, it has stated that it is working properly. That is the external hard drive, and the internal on the Mac. I’m intending to increase the RAM, from 4gb to 16gb. I’m hoping this will speed up my computer. I still have a case number with support, but they say they will keep it open, until I’ve run a test of my hard drive, on someone else’s iMac.

Maybe you could find out if your external hard drive is functioning properly, by attaching it to someone else’s iMac. Hopefully a moderator will get in touch with you, whose more knowledgeable on these issues. Wishing you all the best.

Looks like my problem was the Firewire connection. WD Customer support had me connect via USB and the computer saw the drive right away and I can see all my files, etc. Hurray!

Great news! I’m glad it’s all sorted for you.

1 Like