Formatting 3TB Drive for MAC OSX 10.6

I am trying to format my new 3TB harddrive for my Mac computer. 

Everytime I go into disc utilities, select the new harddrive, go to the erase tab and select MS-DOC(FAT)  I get a notification that says “Disc Erase Failed with the error: Invalid Request”

I then tried going on the partition tab, selecting 1 partition, selecting MS-DOS(FAT) format and clicking apply and I get the same error message.

What am I doing wrong??

I don’t know much abour Macs. Does your Mac version support 3T drives? I don’t know if you can format a drive that size FAT32 if that is what you are trying to do.

Joe

moviemagic84 wrote:

I am trying to format my new 3TB harddrive for my Mac computer. 

Everytime I go into disc utilities, select the new harddrive, go to the erase tab and select MS-DOC(FAT)  I get a notification that says “Disc Erase Failed with the error: Invalid Request”

I then tried going on the partition tab, selecting 1 partition, selecting MS-DOS(FAT) format and clicking apply and I get the same error message.

What am I doing wrong??

Can’t not be done… largest partition for FAT32 is 2TB

use NTFS-3G  on your Mac, that’s of course if you are thinking about using with windows and mac

if just want to use with PS3 or Xbox then two partitions will be required

Hi,

If you wish to use the disk between a PC and a OS X, then choose exFAT as the format; this should not be limited by 2TB partition sizes.

If however, you only need to use this drive on OS X, then simply choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I have a mac and downloaded and formatted my 3TB hard drive to NTFS3g, but when I plug it into my xbox it wont even recognize it. Any suggestions? Do I need 2 partitions?

TomFoolery wrote:

I have a mac and downloaded and formatted my 3TB hard drive to NTFS3g, but when I plug it into my xbox it wont even recognize it. Any suggestions? Do I need 2 partitions?

To use the drive on the XBOX it needs to be formatted on extFat 

NTFS3g is an application to use NTFS drives on Mac