Folders not accessible for Backup

I have a MacPro and Studio Edition II.  My earlier backup plan has disappeared even though I have many files files backed up as recently as July 2011.

I’ve tried to develop a new backup plan, but I get to the “Backup Plan Setup,” choose “folders,” the choices in the left column (Devices, Places, Search For) are “grey” and cannot be chosen  i.e. no files appear from which to choose.

I’m stuck, suggestions?

Thanks!

SNLippert

Perhaps, this could happen due to of simple reasons…

One thing you can do is to restart your system and unplug all the power cable connected to your CPU and then plug it back. This is the best way i would prefer to use whenever this happens to me…

Try it once and then let me know what do you think of it.

Thanks

Oliver

snlippert wrote:

I have a MacPro and Studio Edition II.  My earlier backup plan has disappeared even though I have many files files backed up as recently as July 2011.

I’ve tried to develop a new backup plan, but I get to the “Backup Plan Setup,” choose “folders,” the choices in the left column (Devices, Places, Search For) are “grey” and cannot be chosen  i.e. no files appear from which to choose.

I’m stuck, suggestions?

Thanks!

SNLippert

If the drive is showing up, but your backup plan isn’t, it’s possible that it may have been corrupted.  Do you have any other data on the drive that you can see?  Does the drive allow you copy data to it?  Does it allow you to access other data?  Also, have you tried the drive on another computer to make sure that you can’t see the backup there?  Also, have you tried using another data cable?  If everything works, aside from accessing the backup, you might try finding some data recovery software to see if you can recover some of you backup.  

However, if it’s just a backup, you can just reformat the drive and recreate your backup.

Hi Oliver - thanks for your suggestion, my apologies for this slow response to you.  I tried a restart with only monitor and keyboard plugged in, but get stopped at the same place when trying to customize my backups.

What’s surprising to me is that I had successfully done this a couple of years ago but have changed OSystems a couple of times … now have the Intel MacPro with 10.6.8.  

Some other detail:

1.   I’ve added one additional Terabyte drive on which I keep all my important documents.  In general,  I use the regular internal drive for all the programs, OS, etc.  My second drive is divided into two parts one for photographs, the other for all other documents.

2.  I’ve noticed that when choosing the backup drive that the program sees my second disk drive mentioned above i.e. it could be selected.

3.  The partial good news for me in all this is that no files are lost up to mide July 2011.  My obvious concern is that nothings new been backed up since July.

Obviously, my problem hasn’t become yours … I appreciate your earlier suggestion and would value other ways to charge ahead!

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Wayne - My WD Drive shows up on my desktop and new files can be copied to it.  I can access backup files stored on the WD Drive and copy them to my desktop.  The cable to the external WD Drive works fine.  I’m using World Disk Anywhere Backup version 2.5 (127).  

My problem is that after designating WD Drive as the site backups will be stored on, when trying to customize  my backup by choosing individual folders … no choices are available … nothing can be selected .  

The other issue is that my second internal drive on which I keep pictures and everything else I wish to choose for backing up works fine.  Everyday my second internal drive is accessed and used.  However the WD Anywhere Backup doesn’t see it so no plan can be set up.

Thanks for your interest - cordially,

Steve

Hi Folks - I just discovered the answer to the problem above.  When I got to the screen showing a column with “Devices, Places, Search For;”  I would click on one of the words “Devices”, “Places”, or “Search For” (with no results) rather than clicking on the arrow to the left to each of the words. By happen-chance tonight, I clicked on the arrow next to these words and the folders to choose suddenly appeared.

Daaa!   

Thanks folks for your support!

Steve