Firmware upgrade My Book Studio Edition II failed

Hello,

Before installing Mac OS Mavericks I wanted to upgrade the firmware of my about 3 years old My Book Studio Edition II drives. I followed all instructions, but when running  WDFirmwareUpdater.app I got the message:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3003.)

But I could continue the firmware upgrade, so I tried it. Unfortunatel in the end I got the message:

Firmware update failed

Unable to find device to update. Check your cable connection, and then run
WD Firmware Updater again.
Click Exit, and then run the WD Firmware Updater again.

Repeating didn’t help. What can I do? Many thanks!

BTW: 3 things were not clear: During the upgrade:

• should WD Drive Manager be running (or quit?)

• should the drive be mounted (or ejected?)

• should the drive be on (or switched off?)

Where can I show/see which firmware is currently installed?

'dont install/ hook up your MY BOOK with Mavericks!!!  Your data will be corrupted,

wake up

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/All-data-gone-on-My-Book-Studio-II/td-p/602387

Thanks for this link. I am shocked. :dizzy_face: Fortunately I haven’t installed Mavericks yet. I will wait.

(I wouldn’t have *continued* a Time Machine backup after upgrading from Mountain Lion - I would have used a new empty drive with Mavericks, where maybe the issue wouldn’t have happened at all.)

Anyway - can anyone help with my firmware issue? Thanks.

Hello,

I have the same behaviour. I changed the HDDs in my My Book Studio II body and also wanted to update the firmware from 1014 to 1017. First I tried it when running Mavericks, then also with Lion and Snow Leopard. It is always the same, when I repeat the procedure.

Do you have a solution?

Best regards

choferefohc wrote:

I have the same behaviour. I changed the HDDs in my My Book Studio II body and also wanted to update the firmware from 1014 to 1017. First I tried it when running Mavericks, then also with Lion and Snow Leopard. It is always the same, when I repeat the procedure.

In the meantime I got the following answer from WD email support:

Unfortunately we do not have any information which firmware version have to be installed on external drive to make it working on OSX 10.9 therefore I assume that firmware upgrade is not necessary.

Also Firmware update is more related to managing work between internal drive an external casing of the drive than managing the drive by operation system.

Once new software version will be installed on your computer drive should work properly without upgrading firmware.