External drive not showing up since update to yosemite

Hi I have a 1TB WD Elements drive that will not show up my mac yosemite it worked before yosemite but now won’t, is there a known issuse and how can I fix this, I have had the WD drive checked at an apple store and they identify the problem as a WD issuse as this drive shows up on older version of the mac operating systems but not on yosemite. 

Any help would be good thanks.

WDBABV0010BBK

Hi picturetony, welcome to the WD Community. We have passed this along to support. 

1 Like

So what is happening I’ve no reply? 

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony!

I believe you are not the only one as I notice quite a few threads I found on google has the same issue.

If you require the data on your HDD, I would suggest you try to back it up first, e.g. utilizing a friend’s with older OS. This might not be easy but try your best if the data is essential. Else, try to downgrade your mac OS, back it up and then move forward from there.

My only suggestion is you would require to reformat your external HDD on Yosemite. That is the best chance to get it to work on Yosemite.

In any case you dont need the data, try recovery mode on your Yosemite and see if disk utility can mount your HDD. If it does, re-partition it. If not, chances are the firmware on your HDD requires some update.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the reply mondaygreen the issuse is the hard drive is not regonised on yosemite full stop, therefore it can’t be reformmated to/on yosemite. The problem is I understand via Apple tech people is a WD issuse.

I was hoping for a responce form WD which hasn’t been provided so I beleive they may no of this issuse and the silence speaks volumes here.

Hi Tony, WD support has been trying to reach you, have you checked your email?

1 Like

Hi

See my related post and having just had another Apple update, Apple very kindly reminded me the software for my WD My book live was incompatible. Following the first reboot a message told me that the WD software had been sent to the incompatible software folder,

My initial post

I have an IMac running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3 and since one of the updates at the beginning of March 2015 I have been unable to see m WD MY Book live on my home network from my MAC.

Apple have indicated during the last update that the WD software is no longer supported and placed the WD application in a folder called “Incompatible software folder” is there a software update?

Note from Apple

OS X: About the incompatible software folder

Some incompatible software is automatically disabled when you install OS X.

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and later protect your Mac from certain incompatible software that may quit unexpectedly, or cause other issues. When you install OS X, or when you migrate from another Mac, known-incompatible software is moved to a folder named “Incompatible Software”.

OS X also prevents known-incompatible software from opening. If you see a message indicating that you can’t use “this version” of an app, contact the software’s vendor or visit their website to see if a later, compatible version of the app is available. If you purchased the software from the Mac App Store, use Software Update to see if an updated version is available there.

Software restricted during installation and migration

During installation, OS X moves known-incompatible software to a folder named “Incompatible Software” at the top level of the startup drive. If this folder is present on your Mac, see what applications are in it, then check for available updates. To obtain a newer version of an Apple app, check the Mac App Store, or visit the Apple Store website.

Software restricted from opening

After installation, if you try to open (“launch”) software known to quit unexpectedly, OS X may prevent it from opening. An alert also appears notifying you of the incompatibility. If you see this kind of message on your Mac, check to see if an update is available for the software mentioned in the alert. To obtain a newer version of an Apple app, check the Mac App Store, or visit the Apple Store web

Hope this helps

Now working

I placed the WD smartWare.app in to the tarsh bin rebooted and then checked my firwall settings all ok now

Phil