External Drives for Mac Experiencing Data Loss with Maverick OS -- UPDATED FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2013

Well, I must say that this (for me at least) has been a shhhtstorm in a very small glass of water.

The fist things that struck me after I had recovered my data was

a) Why is WD so lousy to inform users about the “fix” (because I had to search, dig down on their website and then register a complaint here with them. The “hassle” was mainly having to register the complaint and wait for approval (whilen going crazy). Then all that remained was using the supplied software and wait for it to finish.

Had they just released a document/webpage which came up when using a search engine that said “relax, dont do anything this is simple to fix” they would have escaped a lot of unnessesary bad PR.

HEY, THIS IS STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE BUT IT’S NOT AS BAD AS EVERYONE THOUGHT…

b) This isn’t really a datacrash/loss/major malfunction per se, in that all the data was there (for me at last) and the entire filestructure was intact. It has simply been a “missunderstanding” between two pieces of hardware and nothing really awful happened. 

The only files that became corrupt, was files I had “wiped” before trying to restore/search the right disc volume.

All in all, I am utterly impressed with the professinality that WD has handled this case (for me) and the speed they contacted me after I reported the problem. I have never in my entire LIFE been served this well from ANY tech company or manufacturer. But at the same time I’m FLABBERGASTED that they managed to handle the initial outcry so utterly terrible…

All in all, thank you WD. You are a very professional company and you did almost everything right.

PS : please make it easier for other people to find peace of mind when this thing hits them in the face and they start looking for a solution…

1 Like