External Drives for Mac Experiencing Data Loss with Maverick OS -- UPDATED FOR NOVEMBER 6, 2013

Hello,

I had a My Book Studio 1.5TB and it happened the same to everyone here. Called Western Digital but complains can only be made by e-mail.

In my case I didn’t had a backup, I didn’t used this disk for more than two months - it was being used as archival. When I first plugged it timemachine asked me if I wanted to use this disk for them. Then two partitions appeared as everyone else, “MyBook” and “EFI”, and I deleted all the WD files as you mention here. When I did that and restarted the computer only the “MyBook” partition appeared with no files in it.

I had invaluable information there and I trusted Western Digital that this drive would work properly - after all, they’re one of the most renowned producers of external hard drivers for the consumer market in the world.

In my humble opinion, in order to cover this, I think that WD should create a system in which users could send their external drives by mail to Western Digital (expenses covered) to have the data be recovered by their own technicians.

The users have no fault whatsoever in this matter… What do you think?

1 Like