Error in RAID Configuration

Now I am receiving this message:

Your device My Passport (S/N: ***************) has RAID configuration issues.

Please launch the WD Drive Utilities software to get more information.

My options are to click on run wd drive utilities which i uninstalled…

Hi there, do you have a My Passport Pro? Is the drive having issues? What kind of issues does the drive have? Could you be a little more specific?

I’m getting this, too, with a brand new My Passport Ultra (2TB) attached to my MBP (OSX 10.10.4). The drive is formatted HFS+ and upon plugging it into the mac, I get the popup message telling me there is an error in the raid configuration.

More detail:

The drive has never been set up for RAID. What gives?

I’ve tried to run Disk Utilities on it, and soon after the process starts, the drive is spontaneously dismounted.

I’ve seen the spontaneous dismount just trying to access a folder on the drive.

The same drive seems to work fine on a different MBP.

This is a backup drive and not giving me a lot of confidence that I can rely on it right now.

I used to be very brand loyal to WD, but this is the 3rd time in a few months that I have encountered problems with 3 different WD drives.

I have the same proble with 2 My Passport Ultra’s. I tried to erase one but it shut down in the middle. Please HELP!!! These rives are not useless.

hey i have the same thing happening did u ever find out how to fix the problem i just got another wd and its doing the same so now iam stuck with 2

Am experiencing exactly the same problem that e_silio describes on my MacBook Pro (late 2008 running Yosemite 10.10.4). I also have a DROBO (a “better-than-RAID” backup system) attached to Firewire port on which I have my Time Machine and an Archive partition.

With the WD software installed the drive mounts for about 10 seconds then dismounts and the LED goes off. With the WD software uninstalled the drive mounts, then dismounts but LED continues powered (blinking), and the “Error in RAID Configuration” popup displays as already described.

However, when I dismount the DROBO, uninstall the WD software , the drive stays mounted!  BUT… When I install the WD Drive Utilities, let the app update to the current version (2.0.2.18 May 19, 2015), and run the “Quick Drive Test”, THEN the drive dismounts. Now, disconnect the drive and re-connect: it remounts four about a minute and then dismounts again. Uninstall WD Drive Utilities, reconnect the drive, then the “Error in Raid…” message returns. (The DROBO is still disconnected from the computer).

It is quite frustrating to need to fuss with such a basic device. 

I am having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with My Passport for Mac

Hi! I am having the same/similar problem and really need it fixed

My drive info:

White My passport Ultru 2tb P/N WDBBKD0020BWT

Partition one: Boy’s Macbook | Mac osX journaled Case-sensitive | 1 TB

Partition two: Dads’s Macbook | Mac osX journaled Case-sensitive | 1 TB

Computer info:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)

Processor 2.35 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4

The drive will connect, mount, than dismount after a period of time anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes, than will disconnect after about 15 seconds following the dismounting.

When the drive disconnects, the drive seems to shut down.

This only ocurs on my computer

Yosemite: 10.10.4

13-inch, Mid 2009

Processor:

2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory:

8 GB 1333MHz DDR3

Nvidia 9400M 256 MB GPU

My Pasport Ultra 1 TB

Same exact issue. Some folks had found a fix in adding the drive to spolight privacy for not searching. I was able to accomplish this, but alas, it failed 10 seconds later, and since it doesn’t stay mounted, it doesn’t remember it. Some folks ran Kext Utility, this also did not work. I am seeing a mass amount of this not being addressed by WD or Apple. Has WD come up with a fix yet? Can we get a moderator to answer in here?

This does not happy on my Windows desktop. Same cabling, same device. So the drive is good.

Processor   2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory   8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Software   OS X 10.9.5 (13F1096)

My Book for Mac 3TB

Same as everybody else. I purchased the drive yesterday and encountered all the problems listed in this forum. I am glad to know that I am not crazy. 

Help?

I seem to be in the same boat. Has anyone discovered a resolution for the problem?

I am the same as everyone else. Has anyone found out how to fix this?!

Drive: My Passport for Mac - 500Gb

Desktop: Mac Mini running Mavericks

Issue started occuring tonight.

I started getting the exact same error tomight also.

Not sure if it started completely on its own or if I actually did something, but the drive had been working for many many months until now.

I have now managed to get it working again, and have been pulling my data off it as I will be replacing it now.

This is what I did…

Go to Activity Monitor and look for a process called fsck_hfs.

If this is running, force quit it.

Then look for any of the WD programs, and force quit them…I came across a few called wdhelper, wdsecurty, wddriveutilities etc etc.

Force Quit all of them.

Then unplug your drive. Wait 10-20 seconds, plus it in again, and you shoudl see the WD Unlocker app appear.

Pop it open and unlock your drive.

You should now have access, and from what I can see, continue to have access (I pulled a 14Gb file from mine with no issues) .

What I have discovered is that the moment you open one of the other WD applications … WD Security, WD Drive Utilities it seems to dismount the drive.

Also verifying and running repairs on the drive in Disk Utility, seem to cause it to dismount.

Needless to say, all my data is getting downloaded and moved elsewhere…my trust is gone

I am having exactly the same issues as everyone else described.  I’ve tried all the recommended solutions with no success. Will be returning this drive to Best Buy and purchasing another.  Frustrating!

Had the same error. After removing the WD Utilities and killing all WD related processes everything worked just fine for me. 

FOUND A SOLUTION

At least, it was a solution for me.

I was having this same problem, didn’t happen until I updated to El Capitan

I called apple, and had GREAT support from them, and we found the solution to my problem

There is “wd drive utility” software that would launch upon start up

go here to delete it:

FINDER - GO - COMPUTER - LIBRARY - LaunchDaemons - com.wdc.WDPrivilegedHelper.plist

DELETE THAT FILE

Then, go to 

SYSTEM PREFERENCES - USERS & GROUPS - LOGIN ITEMS - UNCHECK WD DRIVE UTILITY

That fixed the porblem for me, had the issue on 2 of my 4TB WD MY BOOKS

So glad that apple helped me solve the problem, props to them! Hope this helps you guys!

3 Likes

I had been having this issue this morning with a WD Passport 2TB and 2008 MacBook Pro (on 10.7.5). So far (…) I seem to have got round the problem, initially in response to bjcreative’s post.

Following bjcreative’s solution, I’m not on El Capitan (I’m on 10.7 so there is no ‘LaunchDaemons’ folder in my Library folder, so I didn’t delete anything there. I also checked that the WD Drive Utility was unchecked in the Users & Groups on System Prefs.

Having noted that people had reported issues around WD utilities needing to be shut down in Activity Monitor etc I decided to just uninstall the WD Utilities package, for good measure I also deleted the WD Security which I had installed when I first plugged in the drive.

I did a restart on the MacBook Pro and hey presto (touch wood etc) everything is working fine at the moment.

My guess is that the WD Utilities does regular background checks on the drive and that somewhere along the way this had created a conflict within the system. Whatever the reason the drive appears to be working fine now.

PS: I had also been having problems with random disconnection of the drive and it was looking as though the MacBook’s USB drive was not providing enough power. I’m happy to say that since uninstalling WD Utilities there has not been a disconnect…!

1 Like

Bjcreative’s post helped. Was having the same problem as everyone.

At first the daemon file wasn’t there to be deleted. I actually went to wd’s site and re downloaded the utility. After it was installed I went into Appcleaner.com to completely remove the utility.

After it was completely uninstalled, I went back to the daemon file and it was there to delete. So, I deleted it… I also went into system preference and did the uncheck thing, but it wasn’t there. So that was that.

Finally, I restarted the computer, plugged in the HD, and presto… it showed up and remained connected.

I have amazon prime, so i’m currently uploading 509GB incase the HD fails in any way again. I must say, I do feel proud to have figured it out, being an total novice, with the help above of course. Thanks for calling Apple!! It was the trick. This was super frustrating…

Nice to see the caring support of WD here… they must just lock us in a room and leave us scream to death rather than fix stuff. I was unable to find the LaunchDaemon anywhere, however, after downloading a new utilities installer it gives an uninstall option which I took. Then going to the main device library not user the launch daemon could be found.

Looks to me this WD My Passport Ultra which worked fine in the past is not fit for purpose as a reliable back up device and is more or less sold devoid of any useable support software leaving you to rely on The Apple Disk tools or if you have a third party app like Disk Warrior or Drive Genius as I do. You then may as well buy a vanilla off the shelf drive off eBay as pay premium WD prices. I just bought a new 3TB Passport a few weeks ago and feel robbed already. Its a shame as I came to WD after similar appealing decline in support and respect for customers data at Iomega a few years ago… and it also looks like removing the launchdaemon has not stopped the drive firing the warning messages every few minutes which makes the use of the drive an irritation when doing other stuff.

Thanks for the help people!! it worked!!