Empty MBP battery caused degraded RAID1 in My Book Thunderbolt Duo

I set up a 6TB My Book Thunderbolt Duo (“MBTD”) as a RAID1 volume on my MacBook Pro (“MBP”) running OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, threw my 1.2TB iTunes library onto it and sat back, basking in the dim glow of flashing LEDs.

Everything was running smoothly until one morning when I forgot to reconnect the mains cable to my MBP (I always disconnect it at night and put it to sleep); obviously, after a few hours the battery died. “No problem,” I thought, and I reconnected the power and brought the MBP out of hibernation. That’s when things started to go pear shaped (“wrong”).

I’m a bit fuzzy on exactly what happened next, but the short version is that the MBTD icon disappeared from the desktop and at some point WD Drive Utilities told me it was “rebuilding,” which took it roughly 14 hours. “Great!” I thought as it was rebuilding; “Disaster averted!” The fact that I couldn’t access my data (no icon on the desktop, unable to mount via Disk Utility) didn’t bother me.

Unfortunately, when the rebuild finished, I get the message “RAID is degraded, launch WD Drive Utility”. WD Drive Utility was already open and telling me:

I opened Disk Utility and that told me:

And now I can neither mount the volume on the desktop nor get at my data.

Suggestions as to how I recover my files would be gratefully received, please.

Try using a recovery software like Minitool or Disk Warrior

after that follow the steps on rebuilding the raid

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

If and when I recover my data, should I just recreate the RAID1 array and carry on? Or is it worth contacting WD Support and talking to them?

Rebuilding the raid should be enough unless you continue to have issues with the drives

in that case netter contact WD

1 Like

So I am having the exact same issue with my RAID1 as well. I don’t have disk warrior but other good Drive tools and they won’t access the raid or drives. Did you ever resolve this or have any other tips? I guess it’s time to contact support.

To be honest all I did was wipe it clean and start again. Fortunately I could recover all the media I lost as it was all bought from iTunes and Amazon which allowed me to download it all again. The only things I couldn’t recover were the movies I encoded from my DVDs and blu-rays.

I’ve let the battery in my MacBook Pro die since, but this time there was no loss of data. I have, however, set up a backup of the non-recoverable media!

I’m happy to let the first time slide, but if it does occur again then obviously I will chase it up.

**bleep**. That’s not really an option for me as I have critical data on there. Hopefully support can help me out.

Sorry I’m not much help. Good luck with the recovery.