El Capitan & passport ultra

Hi everyone, can somebody tell me if Wd passport ultra works with El Capitan on Mac. I have not upgraded to new OS yet,I would really like some reassurance before I do as I have just bought this new external hd. I have formatted it for Mac and it’s mounting fine. I really hope there is a success story out there…or  there will be tears…

Welcome to the WD Community.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact.aspx

Regards,

Trancer.

1 Like

Macette wrote:

Hi everyone, can somebody tell me if Wd passport ultra works with El Capitan on Mac. I have not upgraded to new OS yet,I would really like some reassurance before I do as I have just bought this new external hd. I have formatted it for Mac and it’s mounting fine. I really hope there is a success story out there…or  there will be tears…

I checked on this a little further.  In the beta versions of El Capitan, we saw some compatibility issues, but in the release version, it seems to have been taken care of.  If you were able to format it on the Mac, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

I am currently having trouble with my passport. Since I upgraded to El Capitan I can only read and not write. Had no such problems with the previous OS. Any help will greatly appreciated. 

I have the same problem. Thank God I’m not alone. :slight_smile:

Any idea on how to fix this? Been googling for a while but no use.

I just wanted to let people know my WD passport Ultra is working fine after upgrading to El Capitan. The one thing I didnt do is install the software, I dont know if that has helped. But if you have installed the software and had trouble it might be a something to try.

Macette wrote:

I just wanted to let people know my WD passport Ultra is working fine after upgrading to El Capitan. The one thing I didnt do is install the software, I dont know if that has helped. But if you have installed the software and had trouble it might be a something to try.

Hi Macette,

Are you referring to the desktop software?

It’s not working for me. I have a WD My Passport For Mac external hard drive that worked fine, then I upgraded my OSX to El Capitan. My WD drive stopped backing up. I tried everything, incl running their utilities, downloading new firmware and calling WD support. No help there. I finally was told that El Capitan is not supported by my WD drive, therefore this is an issue for Apple and not their problem. I worked my way up to 2nd tier support level in order to talk to a more tech-savvy person. Sadly, I waited on hold a long time then got disconnected! I had to call back yet again and work my way up to the 2nd tier and waited on hold again. Eventually I had to leave a call-back number. It’s now several hours later and have heard nothing. What a crock! I can’t conceive of WD, a giant in the storage industry, not having a driver to backup the latest Apple OS. Or is it Apple’s fault? I wonder how many Apple users use WD external hard drives for Time Machine? Good thing I use a separate Cloud storage backup. As a last resort I may have to invest in a Time Capsule which will always be compatible with a Mac. 

1 Like

I am having the exact same problem with my passport. Worked fine under maverick and yosemite-once I upgraded to El Capitan I can no longer backup or even see it in Finder. It shows up under disc utility-but no way to use it. Any word on a fix for this?

Same problem for me – Passport Ultra worked perfectly under Yosemite, and after upgrading to El Capitan yesterday I can no longer even see the drive in Finder.

:frowning:

I just updated to El Capitan 10.11.1 and it seems to have fixed the issue I was having-should be safe to upgrade to El Capitan now for those holding off.

Fletchdawgg, can you tell us which My Passport you are using? (for example, there’s My Passport Ultra, My Passport X, My Passport Slim, My Passport Studio, My Passport for Mac)
And are you using WD Security for Mac – if so, which version, if you can say?

@uliana

**FWIW

I have My Passport For Mac. I called tech support today (10/21) & confirmed it is compatible w/El Capitan. However, I am not upgrading until 10.11.3. Will let everyone else work out the bugs till then. :smirk: **

Thanks for the info, Alpha. Are you using the WD Security for Mac software with yours (and if so, which version)?

You’re welcome uliana.

No, I am not using any of the WD security software. At the moment I do not need it. Matter of fact, I never installed any of the WD software. I keep the dmgs in an “as needed” folder just in case.

same issue , a white light is blinking but the disk is not recognized (it was recognized once and never anymore)

I have OS X El Capitan and just got my hard drive yesterday. I am unable to use it because it doesn’t recognize it. Has anyone been able to get an answer about this yet? Or do I need to return it? I tried the instructions regarding partition and El Capitan is not on the list…help?

Did they tell you how to make it work?

No because I was just “confirming” for my model WD which is My Passport For Mac. I am still on Yosemite OS. Not upgrading my OS until all the EC ripples are ironed out. Hopefully, by v10.11.3.

just got my hard drive yesterday.

You are still under warranty. Strongly suggest that you CALL WD customer support for EC instructions regarding your model WD.

Next entry.