Dubious RAID-1 Recovery

I am writing regarding the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II for MAC WDH2Q40000E eSATA, USB2, Firewire400, Firewire800, RAID-0/1, 4TB, 7200rpm.  After attempting to do a RAID-1 rebuild  for recovery from my original unit to a replacement unit that was  also set to RAID-1,  my original disk-B became unusable and nothing was copied to my replacement WDH2Q40000E.  WD customer support recommended doing an old school unit to unit data copy instead of a RAID-1 rebuild; however, the replacement unit only came with a european wall plug adapter, so I could not run both units at the same time.   After receiving a U.S. power cord, I called WD level-2 support.  I explained the situation and stated that I was not confident in attempting another RAID-1 rebuild for recovery  with my remaining original disk-A because of the previous failure.  I was told that an old school unit to unit data copy was the procedure to follow, because the WDH2Q40000E is incapable  of doing a RAID-1 rebuild for recovery!

In short, it is nice that the WDH2Q40000E can run as a RAID-1 disk; however, it fails its intended purpose if you cannot do a consumer serviceable RAID-1 rebuild  for recovery!    The capability of this product is dubious, and WD should stop selling them.

gkraft4 wrote:

I am writing regarding the Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II for MAC WDH2Q40000E eSATA, USB2, Firewire400, Firewire800, RAID-0/1, 4TB, 7200rpm.  After attempting to do a RAID-1 rebuild  for recovery from my original unit to a replacement unit that was  also set to RAID-1,  my original disk-B became unusable and nothing was copied to my replacement WDH2Q40000E.  WD customer support recommended doing an old school unit to unit data copy instead of a RAID-1 rebuild; however, the replacement unit only came with a european wall plug adapter, so I could not run both units at the same time.   After receiving a U.S. power cord, I called WD level-2 support.  I explained the situation and stated that I was not confident in attempting another RAID-1 rebuild for recovery  with my remaining original disk-A because of the previous failure.  I was told that an old school unit to unit data copy was the procedure to follow, because the WDH2Q40000E is incapable  of doing a RAID-1 rebuild for recovery!

In short, it is nice that the WDH2Q40000E can run as a RAID-1 disk; however, it fails its intended purpose if you cannot do a consumer serviceable RAID-1 rebuild  for recovery!    The capability of this product is dubious, and WD should stop selling them.

Sure it can rebuild but only if one drive failed instead of the controller. What are you trying to change? Just one drive on the case or the entire case?

2 Likes

Just one drive on the case or the entire case?

Yes, the controller was being replaced and it came with new drives.

Sure it can rebuild but only if one drive failed instead of the controller.

It would have been nice if customer service would have simply said so in the first place.  :-)

PS: WD customer service telephoned me to follow up to my post.   He confirmed what ThePizzaMatrix said.   It can only RAID-1 rebuild a failed drive, and not for a replacement controller.