Discontinuance of WD 2Tb Firewire 800 drive? Stonewall

The WD 2Tb Firewire 800 My Passport drive WDBU4M0020BBK has been unavailable in UK for 4 weeks now and while WD is quoting “out of stock”, it’s beginning to look as if it has been discontinued? I can’t get any sense out of WD sales here other than “out of stock” which is all the stock computer is telling them.

The 1Tb drives are presently still available.

I think you can still get the 2Tb in the US but for how long?

Does anyone know any better? Is it really ‘out of stock’ or is it in fact discontinued?

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

I do not have any information on whether the unit has been discontinued, but i would recommend checking on this list of retailers and verifying if you can find the model you are looking for:

http://www.wdc.com/en/buy/

Hope this helps you out. 

Believe me, that won’t help but thanks anyway. I have tried four or five retailers - the usual places including Amazon and eBay locally and the supply of these drives in the UK has dried up. I tended to buy one every two months or so - in the past - so I know the retailers.

Either there really is a supply problem or the drives have in fact been discontued by Western Digital. I’m trying to find out if it’s the latter.

(At most there are two for sale left in the country and the seller is asking £335.64 - $541.55.)

Edit: I just tried a further six retailers on your link. All report ‘out of stock’.