Did Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant make my drive unreadable?

My Passport for Mac  (1T) is unreadable!  It worked perfectly until I connected it to my MacBook while I was running the Mountain Lion application, “Recovery Disk Assistant.”   (This is an application to create an external disk which can be used to restore Mountain Lion to the computer drive.)  The Assistant prompted me to connect an external USB drive.  I attached My Passport,.  The Asssitant then mounted it in the finder under the name, “Recovery Disk”, not “My Passport.”   Furthermore, an error window told me the disk was unreadable and provided me with an option to initialize.  I cancelled the process and ejected the drive.

Unfortunately, My Passport now appears as “unreadable” when connected to any mac computer.

I then perormed diagnostics with the latest “WD Drive Utilities” application, and My Passport passed both the S.M.A.R.T. check and the Quick Drive Test.  My drive seems to be OK, and I think it was somehow corrupted by “Recovery Disk Assistant”.

Hi, as you say, it is possible that the data inside the Passport was corrupted. As a troubleshooting step, be sure to use the USB cable that came bundled with the Passport and avoid using any USB extension cables or USB hubs. If the problem continues you can try using a data recovery program, with the help of Google you should be able to find several options.