Damaged Board?

Hi,

I’m having some problems with my 3TB drive which is causing files to take hours to copy to it.

At first the drive was unmounting at random points, but thanks to some posts on this forum I think I’ve got that fixed.

Copying files around 6GB to the drive is taking anywhere from 8 to 10 hours (per file!), which can be irritating and a slow process.

I’ve opened the case and noticed what looks like a scorch mark on the board and wondered if this could be the problem?

I’ve attached a photo showing the mark and am hoping it can be fixed or replaced.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Sorry, the photo doesn’t seem to be showing…if not, then it can be viewed here if it helps : http://www.tldtestbed.co.uk/IMG_3022.JPG

Hello,

If you need to recover the data on this drive I recommend contacting a data recovery company. Replacing or repairing the circuit board is not a recommended method of recovering data or drive functions.

Take a look at this link for more information.

How to recover data on a drive, obtain a circuit board, repair a drive, or find a list of WD data recovery partners 

Thanks Hamlet,

The drive luckily doesn’t need any recovery.

I can attach it to the Mac as normal and it mounts…I can browse, read, write etc just as it should be…

the issue is with the speed it copies and I wasn’t sure if the marks on the board was the cause of the problem?

My laternative is to remove the harddrive and put it into a new external case, but I’d rather not go output that cost if I can help it for now.

Try checking the posts by fzabkar he has explained about testing the boards. Maybe you can find something useful thee, He’s about the only one who understands much about the boards.

Joe