Complete newbie/dummy/ please help

Hi, so sorry if what I am asking is very basic, but just purchased a my book studio 3tb for my old power pc emac running 0SX 10.5.8 as extra storage while I am saving to get my new computer.  I’ve never used an external hard drive before and my computer knowledge is shall we say somewhat basic.

First of all, when messing around when I first set up the hard drive, I was directed to disk utility after trawling through various web pages and ended up trying to verify disk.  I came up with some kind of error message so I went to repair disk, and again some kind of error message occured.  So I went to erase disk, thinking it would only erase the data I had just saved to it.  Unbeknown to me (see I told you I was a dummy) it has erased all the files that came on the drive when I purchased it.  I have gone to the WD downloads secton and downloaded the smartware update, so I have this back.  But what about all the other files?  Is there an easy way to retrieve (or download) all this information? 

Secondly, after further research, according to WD website, it would appear that this drive is not mac-bootable for power pcs.  Please can someone explain to me in layman’s terms what this means?  Does this mean that I cannot use this drive as my main hard drive and just as a back up of the internal hard drive?  Or am I getting this all wrong.

I would greatly appreciate someone explaining all this to me in simple language as I am so frustrated at the moment, I just want to chuck the drive out of the window! 

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello mate,

1- If you purchase a drive with Smartware, you only need the files on the website? What other are you referring to?

2- You are correct, this is not a bootable drive with power PC, is a backup unit. Not a main hard drive.

1 Like

Hello,

I would suggest you to try running a data recovery software and see if that is able to recover your accidently deleted files.