Cannot copy files over?

Hi all,

Ok here it is.  The only fully compatible native format for both Mac and PC is FAT32.  However, FAT32 has some major limitations associated with it.  Among these are a 4GB file transfer limitation which could rule out large videos created with final cut or other software.  Although you can render to the external you will not be able to move the file video once rendered.

Windows is not able to natively see HFS+ (Mac default) format and although Mac can see NTFS it is a Read-only.  You can copy to and from the drive just not modify files on the drive when attached to your Mac.

There are third party software programs for both Mac and PC that would allow you to have the drive formatted one way or the other and still have access to it.

But here is a warning, although I know people who use both Mac and PC and use drives in FAT32 between both of them, I have seen data or file corruption occur form having multiple operating systems working with files on the same drive.  As FAT32 has been obsolete for oh about 10 years now, I would not really recommend using it.  I would pick a platform and stick with it (Mac or PC) both are great computers for their uses, but they never have communicated very well since the inception of both.