Can't use Passport (or Essentials!) on Macbook Pro OS X 10.9.5

I have both a Passport Ultra 2 TB and a My Book Essential 1 TB. Neither work with my Mac after the Mavericks update, which I did this spring (and wasn’t able to get help resolving; was told there was a patch coming out to resolve this widespread problem) and now I have Mac OS X 10.9.5 and still, neither drive is registering on the computer.

I do not have another computer to use to troubleshoot; this is the only one I have access to as I am traveling and the only other person I know has a PC which I have heard may erase the data on my drives.

What has been done to fix this problem? I was told in the spring that there was a patch coming out, but have yet to hear more on that or be told where it is. These items cost me a couple of hundred dollars and I can’t use them — I live on a pretty flipping tight budget and work with a lot of photos, so this is a big deal. Getting frustrated with WD — I think waiting since spring is quite long enough to receive a solution to this! 

I have data on this drive from before I installed Mavericks that I can not allow to have erased — it is the only copy (my other hard drive was stolen). 

Thank you.

ginabegin wrote:

I have both a Passport Ultra 2 TB and a My Book Essential 1 TB. Neither work with my Mac after the Mavericks update, which I did this spring (and wasn’t able to get help resolving; was told there was a patch coming out to resolve this widespread problem) and now I have Mac OS X 10.9.5 and still, neither drive is registering on the computer.

I do not have another computer to use to troubleshoot; this is the only one I have access to as I am traveling and the only other person I know has a PC which I have heard may erase the data on my drives.

What has been done to fix this problem? I was told in the spring that there was a patch coming out, but have yet to hear more on that or be told where it is. These items cost me a couple of hundred dollars and I can’t use them — I live on a pretty flipping tight budget and work with a lot of photos, so this is a big deal. Getting frustrated with WD — I think waiting since spring is quite long enough to receive a solution to this! 

I have data on this drive from before I installed Mavericks that I can not allow to have erased — it is the only copy (my other hard drive was stolen). 

Thank you.

Ginabegin,

I see that you were escalated to support for follow-up.  They should be in touch with you by tomorrow.  Let them help you with any updates.