Can't install new firmware

I have 3 WD extermal hard drives that I use with my four year old iMac.  They are all H1Q 00 models. I’ve daisy-chained them using firewire.

Since I’ve had problems with the iMac recognizing one or more of these drives, I wanted to install the new universal firmware to see if that helped the recognition problem.  

So I’ve got the Mac recognizing two of the three drives.  I downloaded the firmware update and tried to install.  Unfortunately the installer says it cannot locate the drives, even though they’re visible on my desktop.  Can anyone help?

I am having a similar problem.  If you recently purchased the drive, there may be some sort of issue with them having not correctly installed the software or something.  

I know this will sound stupid but in the past there were sometimes problems getting the firmware to update on Mac. The solution for some was to do the firmware update on a Windows PC. I don’t know it it will work for you or not. Personally I don’t update the firmware unless I have a problem.

Joe