Can't hide Virtual CD on MyPassport Essential 500GB

Hi everyone,

as the title says, I am unable to hide the Virtual CD on my My Passport Essential 500GB.

I followed the instructions online and first updated the firmware, then used the VCD Manager. When I run the VCD Manager it tells me that I cannot configure the VCD with the current firmware on my drive and I need to update my firmware.

I triple-checked to make sure I have updated the firmware to the latest one.

I also tried disabling the VCD through WDSmartware, but when I install it and go to “Settings” as instructed, there is no  “Virtual CD” button that I can click. 

This is extremely annoying as I just spent days emptying the drive with the sole purpose of hiding the VCD and reformatting it. 

Is there anything else I can do?

it is possible your drive does not have a VCD

the VCD use to come in the older my passport models

the new one comes with a mini VCD and gets disabled once you removed security from the drive

This feature is already included in the latest SmartWare releases, there is no need to use VCD Manager.  You may install the latest version of SmartWare, then go to Settings > Drive Settings > Virtual CD.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I finally figured out what the problem was: The updater app told me there was no Smartware update available, but I checked online and found out I was on 1.1.1.4 and the newest one is 1.3.X.X. something. Manually forced it to update and could then hide my VCD.Â