Can not drag and drop from MAC to My Book

I’m trying to copy a folder of photos from my MacBook Pro to My Book, when I try that, the “copy WD Internal Drive” option is not available. When I try to drag & drop (just to test if that is even possible), I get a "My Book can not be modified? message. Can any one help with this?

If the drive is formatted NTFS fpr Windows it will be read only on a Mac. You need to reformatt or use some softeare see post 6 http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/unwritable-drive/td-p/435872

Joe

2 Likes

AllenGS,

Normally, a Mac OS computer can not not modify a storage volume using the Windows-design NTFS File System, and the unit may need to be formatted into a Mac OS-compatible File System such as HFS+ in order to allow you to write (Add/remove/modify) files into the unit.

For more information related to formatting and partitioning your unit for the Mac OS Operating System, please visit the following link:

Answer ID 3865 - How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

Please bear in mind that the partition table to use depends on the processor of your Mac. Apple Partition Map should be used if your computer uses an IBM PPC (G5/G5) Processor, and the GUID Partition Table should be used if your computer uses an Intel Core (Core 2/i3/i5/i7) processor.

Try opening the folder with the images in.

Select all the images.

Then drag and drop into the hard disk drive.

It shouldn’t matter if the drive is Windows or Mac formatted as picture files are cross platform.

If that doesn’t work you will need to reformat the drive to Mac spec. Use Disk utility and Partition Tab.

AlCapone wrote:

Try opening the folder with the images in.

Select all the images.

Then drag and drop into the hard disk drive.

It shouldn’t matter if the drive is Windows or Mac formatted as picture files are cross platform.

If that doesn’t work you will need to reformat the drive to Mac spec. Use Disk utility and Partition Tab.

It does matter because even though JPEG files are universal, the files system of the external hard drive in question is not. If the drive is NTFS then no matter what you won’t be able to add a single file into the drive from a Mac because the drive _ itself _ will only work with read access unless you have file system emulators on a Mac such as NTFS3G.

@OP, Joe and the JStaff are correct, if it’s an Essential drive then it’ll come NTFS so you’re down to formatting the drive first.

Good point

New Mac users should be educated to reformat their new drives immediatly to OS Extended (Journaled).

It should be in the User Manual

So many issues would not happen if they did so.

1 Like

AlCapone wrote:

Good point

New Mac users should be educated to reformat their new drives immediatly to OS Extended (Journaled).

It should be in the User Manual

So many issues would not happen if they did so.

it is on the user manual though, page 54

Yes, I know but the description is difficult for a new Mac user to understand and work out what to do.