Advisor
backfire11

Attention WD: all data gone on my book studio II and everything reset!!

After installing Mavericks GM my WD my book studio II has lost all data (time machine backup) and was reset to default drive name. This has happened twice now! HELP!! This  is  so serious.

Frequent Advisor
AlCapone

Re: Attention WD: all data gone on my book studio II and everything reset!!

Have you posted in thw Apple forum?

I think you'll find that you are not alone with problems associated with Mavericks.

Frequent Advisor
AlCapone

[ Edited ]

As a rule I never upgrade to a new OS untill all the bugs are sorted. The first issues of new operating systems are are usually bug ridden.

Advisor
backfire11

If it only happens with WD drives I think it's something you should look into. I have other external drives behaving like they should. 

Frequent Advisor
AlCapone

It's got to be a bug new OS, if your drive worked in Apples older OS. The only thing you've changed is the OS. Therefore it must be the OS.

You need to inform Apple that their new OS is not recognising your DW drive.

Advisor
AKabas

Same thing happened to me with a WD My Book Studio Edition II 6TB. After calling WD numerous times they gave up and asked me to ask Apple what Mavericks does to their raid drive and to try recovering my data with a recovery software. 5TB archive gone at the moment, with a partial backup. I've never seen anything like this. Very serious and desperate situation.

Advisor
AKabas

I don't claim to be any expert but my guess is that Apple's (software?) RAID took over and reconfigured the RAID. WD Drive Manager is obviously imcompatible with Mavericks as it appears multiple times in the menu bar everytime the drive is mounted and does not go away without a restart. The Empty/"MyBook" state of the drive is stuck no matter where I tried it (OS 10.8 and 10.6 with and without WD software).

I chatted with a higher level Apple tech support and sent him links to these discussions: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475136?start=0&tstart=0 and https://discussions.apple.com/message/23505869?ac_cid=tw123456#23505869. The end result at the moment was a low level data recovery recommendation which I will try to avoid as long as I can.

I'm holding my breath waiting for a solution from Apple and/or WD where my old volume and data will magically reappear.

Occasional Visitor
coops17

Im having the problem with myPassport. MyBook with my backup works fine but MyPassport does not show up in finder. I have alot of files on there that i need. If you find out anything let me know. I am currently trying data rescue 3 so hopefully that works.

Advisor
backfire11

Jesus WD, look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23493143#23493143

what are you doing??

Occasional Advisor
mikeyh

If you have experienced data loss with the following criteria then please open support cases with both Western Digital and Apple support:

• MacOS Mavericks 10.9
  • WD Drive Manager / Raid Manager software installed
  • data loss after a restart
  • drives initialised to a single MyBook partition with exposed EFI partition
  • loss of all existing partitions and directory structures

If you are an Apple developer then please report an issue with Apple Bug Reporter and reference #15360478.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD