All data gone on My Book Studio II

B74AA,

First, my understanding is that the drive is basically “bricked.”  So any data that is recovered will be restored to another drive and your original can be used as a door stop.  My recovered data was shipped to me on a brand new drive (another WD).  I didn’t ask for return of the old drive.  So, you should confirm whether they will be restoring your data to the old drive.  

Second, if you delete all WD software from your Mac, there should be no issue with any WD drive being corrupted by the same mechanism.  Reading through the early posts to this thread, you’ll see that most problems were apparently due to an incompatibility between WD software (e.g., WD Drive Manager) and Apple OS10.9 “Mavericks”.  Whether Apple or WD are “more” at fault is debatable, but most of the problems reported can be traced back in one way or another to upgrading to OS 10.9 “Mavericks” while having WD software installed and a WD drive attached.  

From my own experience, I had two identical WD drives and two Apple Mac computers both running Mavericks.  Only the drive that was attached to the Mac with WD software installed failed.  The other drive, which was attached to a Mac withOUT WD software installed, continues to hum along to this day.  

Best of luck.

Bob